Tips and Tricks for Email list building for beginners
Email list building not as hard as you think this post will help you build your email list the right way.
Well for one thing as all these Probloggers keep saying the money is in the list with one small caveat yes the money is in the list but its people who make up your list not just a list of email address and it’s a good point to remember.
Don’t fret if you have a small list mine is nearing 70 subscribers and I like to imagine all these people in a room waiting to hear what I have to say it sounds frightening when you put it like that doesn’t it! So no list is small when you imagine them all in a ROOM!
The people who signed up for your Opt-in want to either get the freebie or are keen on what you have to say so are much more interested in what you will have to offer them in the future.
Anything you earn through your website will depend on traffic to your site.
No traffic no monetization guys.
So you need to diversify your monetization strategies.
Want to make money with a small blog check out my post
7 tips to make money with a small blog. Just started your blog getting page views and wondering if you could use it to make mone? Check out this post today.
(If this post contains affiliate links please see our full disclosure policy although I have to say I tried really hard to make it interesting and even I struggled to write it so if you really must read it you can find it here)
Your email list will beat your blog hands down for Return on investment.
According to https://www.crazyegg.com/blog your return on investment ROI for email lists is $40 for every $1 spent.
How to build an email list from scratch involves you knowing your audience
This is a difficult one what does it actually mean?
If you look at Pinterest Analytics you can get an audience insight to see who is looking at your profile and this will give you some ideas but obviously, this is just for your Pinterest profile.
Needing to find out what your audience wants then I recommend hanging out at places that they do:
- Like I can’t believe I am going to say this! Related Facebook groups (if you don’t already know then I have a love hate relationship with Facebook basically I love to hate it haha!!)
- Other blogs you know your customers hang out and read the comment sections
Look for the problems people have, are the same questions popping up all the time, are people complaining about certain things?
Take all this together and see if you can create an Opt-in that will solve just ONE problem.
If you feel ready to take the leap then I can highly recommend two resources:
- Mailerlite as an Email Service provider if you haven’t already gotten one – they are FREE yes Free till you reach 1000 subscribers and I find them straightforward to use
- If you use Mailerlite then my blogging buddy Sammy from https://wellandwealthy.org/ has a great beginners course on how to use Mailerlite so check back on her website for details of when its going to be available.
How to build an Email list for free:
Firstly you need to create something to offer your visitors to your blog. And deliver it to them using An Email Service Provider, for instance, I use Mailerlite it allows you to have up to 1000 subscribers for FREE so if you are interested in reading more Mailerlite then check out their services HERE.
Yep, you need to create what’s called an Opt-in following my instructions above to find out what your audience wants an answer too.
This can be many things but what I would say is don’t make it huge it should be bit sized and offer a solution to ONE problem for your visitors.
Yes, guys ONE problem.
Optin’s include things like:
- Printables ( love this idea and I have just done a course which is going to be part of the Genius Bloggers Toolkit 2018 for this by from I Heart Planners which I found fabulous and EASY to create using something as simple as Google Sheets which is FREE!). Ready to buy then why not get it as part of the Genius Bloggers Toolkit 2018 interested checkout you get heaps of courses, Ebooks, and memberships for $97 instead of over $6000 individually. ( this link will only be available till the 15th October 2018.
- What about a popular gude post as a PDF for your visitors
- How to tutorials
- Consider your top posts could you create something from that
- Free course
- Some of the best converting are content upgrades- adding Opt-ins to your blog posts which are based on the blog post
When deciding on opt-ins make sure they will be relevant to the types of people you want to have on your list.
For example One of my top posts is my
15 Top DIY homemade sugar and salt scrubs Be amazed what you can make with kitchen ingredients. Scrubs to leave your skin feeling awesome!
I am not going to add an Optin for this at the moment because I am not collecting Subscribers on my list for Crafts related topics only blogging for Bloggers related topics.
So all my Opt-ins will be about those, for instance, this one
Add opt-in for affiliate marketing cheatsheet.
Where should you place your Opt-in
Firstly it should really be above the fold ie. at the top of your website. In plain old english.
Just have a look at the top bloggers they have their Opt-ins at the top of their websites.
Just have a look at mine on my home page at
Smartpennies.com – where is it guys AT THE TOP.
Add more Opt-ins on your Website don’t just have one guy’s people need to see them a few times before they consider opting in!
One of the best ways to build your email list is by ATTRACTING traffic to your site
You need eyeballs on these Opt-in before you have a chance to get subscribers so you need to attract TRAFFIC to your website.
Want to try Pinterest then check out my post on the strategy I used to increase my blog traffic using Pinterest in just one month!
The exact Strategy I used to go from 260k monthly views on Pinterest to over 600k monthly views in ONE month – Blogging Lifestyle DIY & Crafts
The strategy I used to go from 260k monthly views on Pinterest to over 600k monthly views in ONE month. Interesting in winning at Pinterest read the post.
Search engine optimization is another biggy to getting traffic – it is definitely for the long haul though!
Want a handy guide then check out this post from:
Create consistent content with incentives
Make sure when you are sending your first emails they are FULL of value for your audience guys.
So to give you an example here is my OPT-IN for this POST.