How to Create the Perfect about me page for your blog with examples
This post will go into how to create the perfect about me page and it has examples to help you out too. Don’t worry it will be a step by step guide to help you through it!
What is an About me Page anyway? And should I have one?
Not everyone agrees that you need an About me page some bloggers don’t even have one on their site.
It can be useful for people to get a flavour of what you are all about and why you are blogging in the niches you are blogging in.
After updating this post I have now decided that I really need to update my About me page its been too long since I last updated it!
(If this post contains affiliate links please see our full disclosure policy although I have to say I tried really hard to make it interesting and even I struggled to write it so if you really must read it you can find it here)
What about you how long has it been since you updated yours? If you haven’t started a blog or are just starting and you are thinking about hosting you can’t do better than go with SITEGROUND they have been marvelous I can’t fault them at all. Please feel free to check them out at this link if you want to begin your blogging journey.
What do you need to do to create a compelling About me page:
Here is a list of things to keep in mind as we go along constructing our About me page:
- Talk about what you can do for your audience
- It’s you on a plate! – but it’s not about YOU it’s about your audience
- Include some pictures or video- you need to be human!
- Add you WHY
- What are you good at go ahead and brag
- Introduction include your full name
- It’s not your autobiography
- Explain your mission
- What can you offer them
- Have a call to action too
EXPLAIN YOUR MISSION FOR YOUR ABOUT ME PAGE what can you do for your Audience?
Ok, so you are fired up to get started and you find you are staring at a blank page!
Argghh that was me I just couldn’t encapsulate my mission statement – why I was here in a few sentences.
Ok, what should you do?
Try – write about what you think you want to be here to do for people reading your blog it doesn’t have to be fancy
Chuck in a bit of personality too!
And don’t forget you can always rewrite it when you feel that you have a better handle on what your blog is about.
Make sure you know how you can help your audience and how you are going to be useful to them.
For instance, if you are going to go into the Craft DIY niche and write about knitting – who are you targeting?
If you are targeting beginners you should mention you have some great posts for beginners on your website and how they will help your audience grow their knitting experience.
So here is what I have decided to add to my Why I am here for you:
Hi, Guys, it’s me here Lia Castelvecchi- Scottish Italian in case you are wondering and no I am no relation to Paolo Nutini – well maybe distantly something to do with Nonno’s ( Grandpa ) sister but that’s another story!
Why am I here?
- I love reading blogs about blogging and have done for years. Yep, it was time to get off my butt and start one of my own about how to start blogging – like a follow along with anything I do you can do too!
- Crafts – I love crafty things I have always played around with wool in some form or other and if you are looking for projects and inspiration then I introduce you to lots of different things you can try from crocheted flowers DIY crafts, knitting almost anything but maybe not woodwork!
- Health and Money tips- because I am a pharmacist and because I struggle with budgeting I will from time to time include GREAT tips to answer those burning HEALTH questions or Money issues.
Who says you have to be NICHE!!!
Who is your Website for?
You want to be intentional when you discuss what you can do for your audience by mentioning who you are directing your website at?
- Is it single mom’s
Going back to the knitting example if you are targeting beginner knitters are you specifically targeting Retirees who have time on their hands to learn a new skill. If you then mention this its really important as you want your audience to be the right audience for your blog.
What to put in your Bio
When you write this section it is important to add why they should read your blog, what are they going to get out of your posts, the types of posts that you write about, can you show credibility and how did you start your site.
You really need to show them what you can do for them so you would want to include what you have already done for instance any useful posts that your readers may find useful and inspiring to either get started blogging for instance or started doing DIY crafts.
Here is an example of what I have included in my About page taking into account what readers will get out of my posts and showing credibility in the length of time I have been blogging now.
- It’s not impossible to make money and don’t be afraid to have that as your goal.
- I have already published some posts that will hopefully help you out and show you what is possible.
- Its been a long years journey and I have learned so much in that year it’s been amazing. If you want a flavour of what you can achieve then having a read at these posts will give you some inspiration if you want to start a blog.
- Where should you start? – Looking to get started on Social media then I have some great posts to help you out for instance:
The exact Strategy I used to go from 260k monthly views on Pinterest to over 600k monthly views in ONE month
- Thinking about taking courses?- check out my series on free and paid course to help you storm ahead with your blogging
- Looking to upcycle
- Looking for crochet projects and inspiration
Then check out my posts on top crochet flower patterns- talk about inspiration!
If you are wanting to see my About page then you can click the link here.
What can you offer your TRIBE?
So you want to include information about what you can offer to your blog readers – why should they read your blog over someone else’s? As I have said above you want to show readers why they should read your blog.
Here are my reasons as to why readers should read my blog
I want you to read my blog and feel like you could start your own blog because I have shown you how I have started and yes I am no big blogger earner. I am also a little guy too!
You are joining me for the ride too!
I can provide you with lots of inspiration for crafty projects just name your poison I have probably tried some kind of crafty endeavor or money saving or making scheme! I have tried it so you don’t have to try and fail! I will give you the tools to succeed!
If you feel that now is the right time for you to start a blog and not sure which website hosting provider to choose then go with SITEGROUND. I have had no issues with my blog since using them and when my site went down due to PLUGIN issues ( one of them messed up the site) SITEGROUND was there to help and if you want a detailed review of exactly how they helped me with this issue then check out this post to help you decide. Seriously its the only hosting company you should consider. Its not overwhelming at all they can walk you through it step by step.
ADD A CALL TO ACTION
You should really include a call to action in your About me page.
It can be near the beginning of your About me page but it should also be at the END.
Here is my call action
A KILLER ABOUT ME PAGE SHOULD ALSO LINK TO FOR EXAMPLE YOUR RESOURCES PAGE!
This could be a freebie from your site, a course or a relevant affiliate offer.
So this is what mine offers
My second call to action is my new Ultimate guide to starting your own blog. Its the PDF download of my series of 13 posts for you to read.
My Ultimate Guide to Starting your own blog can be found here
HOW TO START A BLOG SERIES
Its never too late to start one and BLOGGING is not Dead despite what some people may say!
There you go how to write the BEST About page!
Don’t forget you don’t need to do this straight away you can do this further down your journey when you have a clearer idea of what you are wanting to say and do!
And if you like this post please share it.